Monday, May 4, 2009

$50 Weekly grocery challenge Day 1

So, today we ate a lot of things that were leftovers in the fridge and the pantry for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
DH had leftover brats and kraut for lunch,
kids had chicken nuggets and carrot sticks w/snack of "fruit snacks"
I had Soy sausage patties for breakfast/lunch and a snack of fruit snacks

Last week when I was at Aldi, I picked up something on clearance- it was a "Soy Ginger Noodle" thing for .79 inside was: the seasoning packet, the noodles, and some sesame seeds to put on the top of it. The directions recommended different vegetables and/or protein to complete the meal (about 3/4 a cup.) I chopped up one Spanish onion, three carrots, and added a can of mushrooms. I also prepared two chicken breasts which were already marinated in a terriaki sauce. It came out great and there were no leftovers. I have another flavor, same type of "Asian Meal Starter" and I plan to add (from my fridge and freezer) carrots, fresh mushrooms, green beans, onions, and (depending on what DH says, some scrambled egg for protein.) I really liked making this type of dish because I only really had to use two dishes and the meal was totally prepared in maybe 20 minutes.


I had made a list up and my husband went to Aldi and didn't stray from the list here's what we got:
Waffles $1.15
Whole Milk 2@ $1.49 ea
Whole Wheat Bread $1.69
Unsalted Butter (for baking) 1.99
Hot Dogs .75
2 pkg Brown and Serve Sausage @ .89ea
Ham Tub Lunch Meat $2.49
Hot Dog Buns .79
Total including tax: $14.66

A couple things about the above- I know hands down that Aldi is the cheapest place here to buy any of these items. If I were to go to another grocer close by I could expect to pay twice or three times what I paid for these items. IE. When I was at Target, they had Milk for 2.49 /gal and Waffles on sale for $2.49 the waffles being almost twice as much.

My breakfasts for this week will probably include:
Waffles, sausage, orange slices
High Fiber Cereal (in pantry from Trader Joe's or Target) w/milk
oatmeal
yogurt
apple slices
eggs

Tomorrow I plan on making a hearty vegetable soup,
And Wednesday's meal is more involved as I plan to make a turkey breast I had in the freezer

No comments:

Post a Comment